Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reading and Math Power Towers

So I was perusing blogland in-between coats of paint (no, my classroom is finished, painting in my almost finished basement). Anywho I came upon Teaching In High Heels. Gladys has blogged about some cute ideas, so I was checking them out. I came across the Reading and Math Towers.



I wasn't sure what they were, but knew they MUST be fun! (It reminded me of the cup stackers game...my 2nd and 3rd graders used to love it!)  So I went to teachertipster.com (never been there before, but it's great)to find out more! Mr. Smith has some great tips to share, including a video on the Power Towers! He suggests using them for sight words and math facts, but I can see uses for colors, shapes, numbers, letters, sounds, rhyming...the list is endless (well I'm sure it will eventually end). There is also a link to Mrs. Gilchrist's blog that has FREE, super cute labels for the Reading and Math Towers! I can't wait to get my cups and Pringles (just for the cans, of course) and get a some made. I know my lil' love muffins are going to have a great time playing this "game"!

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! I love Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza. There's a website with lots of terrific Little Red Hen Makes a Pizza activities on it. I will look for it and make another comment. I am doing a day of workshops for new teachers in our county tomorrow and it's late.
    Linda
    A Teachers Touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. I saw Mrs. Gilchrist's post a while back but I needed reminding of getting into gear and getting this game made. Thanks for sharing!:)
    Kinders on the Block

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could also use sanitizer wipe containers!

    ReplyDelete